Thursday, August 25, 2011

Irish Football: We're On The Edge, The Edge, Of Glory

August 25, 2011


AND WE’RE BACK:


I have returned from the wilderness, where I was alone with the bare necessities: my thoughts, water, and a Blackberry Bold 9930. The Irish have consumed my thoughts and I have meditated daily on their upcoming campaign, a weekly battle of good vs. evil.

When we last left our Irish, they were in frigid El Paso, Texas, routing the University of Miami in the Sun Bowl. Little did we know the Hurricanes were swirling – see what I did there, Larimer? – toward a summer of immense controversy. More importantly, little did we know that Notre Dame would have a less controversial, but still eventful, offseason. Check out my remarks from the Sun Bowl Post-Game Reflections in early January:


My thoughts on beating down The U; how it was not a one-day occurrence but a culmination of a month of improvement; and what it all means for next season and beyond:

-       I will be stunned if Floyd returns. If he does go pro, good on him. He has been an impact player since his frosh season and only injuries have slowed him. DB’s definitely haven’t and he absolutely schooled Miami’s trash-talking corners….Credit Weis and Clausen for recruiting him, Kelly for motivating him to elevate his game, and Floyd for working hard to be the next Vincent Jackson (minus the off-the-field headaches). If he does return to South Bend next fall…pssssht….kid will be unstoppable.

-       Dayne Crist is a great guy and deserves a fair shot in spring competition. But the de facto starter, the guy who’s job it is unless dethroned by a challenger, is Rees. He hangs tough, exhibits patience, makes great reads, and showed leadership in consoling Ruffer after the PK’s first miss of the season.



Shows how much I know.

As you know by now, especially if you’re a member of our <inserts shameless plug here> IRISH FANS UNITED Group Page on Facebook, Floyd did indeed stay, then got in major trouble that temporarily got him removed from team activities, then was reinstated. Crist was not the afterthought I figured he’d become and in fact was confirmed as starting quarterback this week.

So with those two likely being the largest personnel moves in Brian Kelly’s offseason (as if head coaches really have an offseason), where will this place our beloved program this season?  By the way, I’m glad there is a season, Lord willing. That whole Judgment Day thing would’ve made USC-Notre Dame really hard to schedule.

But I digress.

Clearly this is the highest level of optimism Under the Dome in many years, due to last year’s 4-0 finish and a roster with more depth than The Help.  I’ve heard from more than one of you that 12-0 or 10-2 at worst is your expectation.

Boy do I hope you’re right but, truthfully, I respectfully disagree.

I do wonder if the pro-style Dayne is cut out for this spread option offense and also, if he can get past Halloween without an injury. Having said that, I think Kelly likes #10’s arm, size, and agility and also figures the running game and defense will carry this team. The guy at the throttle then, really, just needs to manage the game and not make mistakes. That’s a departure from Kelly’s past but does make sense for this seemingly physical Irish team.

My concerns are: Do the Irish have depth behind Floyd?  Can Cierre and Jonas finally be a strong 1-2 in the backfield?  Will losing Darrin Walls hurt the secondary?  Will we ever have a decent kick return game again?

Granted, those aren’t a lot of question marks and certainly the talent is there to turn those into affirmative answers. But I need to see that Dayne is a reliable starter and that the vaunted defense can withstand the number of strong passers on opposing squads.

USF is no pushover and two gauntlets scare me: UM-MSU-PITT-PUR and Maryland-BC-Stanford.   We also face ‘SC with Matt Barkley at the helm and need to prove we can – again – sink Navy.

The key then is attitude. These Irish have gotten more positive press than Derek Jeter. Will they be as hungry and excited as Clare Mundy at a Ke$ha concert?

If so, look out because the roster looks deep, physical, and fast. If we can stuff the run like late last fall, everything will flow from that – turnovers, offensive opportunities, points.

My meditations tell me the schedule isn’t as easy as many have claimed. So on the admittedly conservative side, I say:

PACO PREDICTS: 9-3 and a BCS Bowl.

Tell me if you disagree. Just don’t be a douche about it.


IT’S TIME FOR NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!  






No comments:

Post a Comment