Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Summer of Riches?

There are two things I want you to know: 1.) I am not posting this blog on Facebook. Sure anyone can find it easily but there are times I want you, my blog Followers whom I appreciate, to see posts that others might not necessarily see.  2.) I'm the type of person who thinks summer begins on Memorial Day and ends on Labor Day, although I'll give leeway for weeks like this one where it's hot, hot, hot.

As such, as summer winds down it seems like a good time to reflect on the season that was. It was a fun summer. Had a good birthday party at Fox Sports Grill, where I saw my circles of friends seem to be expanding. I completed the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon with K-Mad. I enjoyed several weddings - Kat's, Kim Ejanda's, Sol and Anthony's. Concerts were great too - Boyz II Men, Marron 5, Train, Ozomatli. In fact, as the Lil' Wayne show evidenced, by the end of summer I was turning DOWN free tickets just 'cause I was so tired and needed nights off.

Sports were interesting. Padres baseball was just not fun to watch. The Lakers and Bulls flamed out in the playoffs. But somehow I made it to both Chargers preseason games. Amazing.

The girl I'm seeing is cool. My friends seem to go out less because we're all just drained. But more on that in a minute.

What I'm happiest about is my speaking career has taken off. It seems like I've been speaking every week and recently I had four speeches in seven days! That has boosted me as an author and the biggest news was when 'Swinging' reached 1,000 copies - I still feel so happy and accomplished about that.

Professionally my summer took a drastic turn when I was given more of a Community Relations emphasis. I still do marketing but am so much happier in CR. Some more changes are on the horizon, though, so we'll see.

I looooved speaking at Camp del Corazon and loved speaking in L.A., San Bernardino, and Catalina and getting invited to future gigs in Ohio and Indiana. I love that my family has rallied through times more than once.

But what I hate is those tough times seem to persist. It seems like I'm always financially pressed and I'm just tired of it. I know I need to save more and spend less. I get that. But I've tried to be frugal and even cancelled a trip to Vegas. :-(  I'm just tired of feeling broke or watching every penny. I make good money. But the bills seem to claim it all right away. Frankly, this is the tightest pinch my household has felt in years and it sucks. It depresses me.

But I've learned to value what matters most: my friends, my family, my teammates. They make me laugh every day. I am richly blessed in friends. I just pray I appreciate them because that's what really matters. It's been a good summer that has ended with a financial tumble (unless a miracle occurs soon). Here's to a great, free, and FUN fall. Starting...now.

No comments:

Post a Comment