Sunday, March 4, 2012

All I Do Is Win...and Work Hard

Well, Adventurers, I didn't think we could top last week, whereby I spoke twice and attended the Latino Film Fest kickoff and, uh, made new friends.


But this past week was pretty great too. On Tuesday I spoke at the Rotary Club of Escondido, per the invitation of my fellow Notre Dame alum Fred Baranowski.  With spring training having just begun, I talked about how this is still a new year and a chance for a fresh start at goal-setting. Having seen the incredible movie Act of Valor last weekend, I thanked the military veterans in the audience for defending this country. The great thing was I built rapport with them early on by engaging in some friendly smack with the six Trojans among the crowd of 180. But they were so comfortable that when I started my bit about the Power of Humor - and used some corny jokes and puns to exemplify that - they booed! As I told my friend Sandy Mas-Fernandez, who stopped by to watch, I usually tell four bad jokes! These guys stopped me in my tracks!

Oh well, it was a very fun luncheon and I was brought to and from it by Jim and Kelly Ponder. On our ride, we deduced that I've known the Ponders now for ten full years. I can honestly say meeting the Ponders, who have gotten both of my books produced, has changed my life.

The next day, the folks from PR group The Alarus Agency paid a visit to my work. They were about to announce what they had told me privately last week: that their client Access to Independence was giving me the incredible honor of being granted their "2012 Lead On" Award for community leadership. I was blown away, thrilled, and humbled by that. So they came to beautiful Petco Park and we did a photo shoot for the Gala in April where the award will be given. I'll upload some pics I took with Anna Allee, Roxanne Farmer, and a great crew from Univisión.

It was a busy couple days because I did a phone interview with Ricardo Gomez of Pláticame.TV ("Talk To Me.TV") and then capped the week by speaking at the Hermanos Unidos Brothers United - HUBU - conference at City College. This was to encourage African-American and Latino inner-city males to pursue higher education. I spoke candidly and emotionally about my story and essentially (and literally) asked, "If I can do it, why can't you?"   They responded terrifically. And, they did not boo.

It was such a long and busy week I needed a weekend of relaxation and sports-watching. And get this - all my teams won!

Irish men's basketball vs. Providence...WIN.
Lakers vs. Kings...WIN.
Padres give Cameron Maybin 5-year contract...WIN.
Aztecs vs. TCU...WIN.
Lady Irish Big East quarterfinal vs. DePaul...WIN.
Los Lakers vs. El Heat...WIN.

A great week capped by a successful sports weekend - the best ever. Here's to another blessed week, Adventurers.
Lady Irish vs. DePaul...WIN.

1 comment:

  1. Something tells me Hacksaw would have a problem with the title of this entry...

    ReplyDelete