Sunday, July 24, 2011

Farewell, Harry, and the Generation You Impacted

Don't worry, if you intend to see the final installation of the Harry Potter saga, I won't divulge any plot surprises or storylines. So know that and also know I saw it as a capper to an outstanding weekend - one in which I went to the Maroon 5/Train concert with Lisa Lisa and Colleen McD; lunched with my college buddy JC, visiting while on Naval leave; and dinner with Slick, KRB, and Rossi at Casa Guadalajara, which then turned into an impromptu softball game on the sandlot next door.

Frankie had been asking to see this movie specifically, which he normally doesn't do, so even though my funds are a bit low, I had to do it. It's fitting that we went to Horton Plaza, because that's the mall where my sister had her first job and I've frequented it since I was 15, with high school buddies and adult dates. Further, Frank and I lunched at the Great Steak Escape (another longtime hangout) and on the TV was the sports documentary "The U". I mention that because in chronicling the rise and fall of the 1980s Miami Hurricanes, they also document some fierce battles with Notre Dame. I grew up on that rivalry. Such great memories.

And that, in essence, is what this final Potter chapter is about. Fantastic memories.

I could tell you about how once we slipped on our special-effects sunglasses, the visuals were astounding and Frankie was on the edge of his seat the entire time. Plus Hermione is even hotter in 3-D.

I could also note that the storyline tied up some loose ends while introducing some undiscovered "A-ha!" moments. A lot gets explained while there are still multiple twists and turns like an old stairwell at Hogwarts.

Conversely, one criticism I have is there are moments when they seemingly tried to rush through things. Instead of intense good vs. evil battles, or Harry and friends looking absolutely doomed - as in films past - it was almost like the creators just wanted to get through this. Like they were saying you know he's made it this far, there's no sense in fooling you into false despair.

But the way he gets out of things, and some of the end results, are worth your money. Between the 3-D, script dialogue, hotness of Hermione, and plot twists, I didn't want to remove my eyes from the screen to look into my popcorn. True story. As Ron Weasley says at one point, "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!"

Now, this is what I've grown to love about Potter, including this final flick. I wasn't an instant reader of the books upon J.K. Rowling's debut release in 1997. In fact, it took me until 2009 to read them and catch up on the movies. But I quickly became riveted by two things: Rowling's writing and the way, quite literally in the cinematic productions, we were watching these kids grow. I love any movie, TV series, book, and sometimes even music groups that allow you to grow WITH a group of people.

For millions of people, Harry Potter spanned a generation as they grew from kids to young adults. This last movie captures that beautifully.

For me, I wasn't among that growth but I've enjoyed seeing it all around me. I love the character development and maturation and action and history of it all.

Potter and Hogwarts has always reminded me of Notre Dame and South Bend, Indiana. His struggles with his step-parents reminded me of some tough times my family had to work through too. And like I said, sentimentality was in full Swing for me this weekend because Maroon 5 has expressed my feelings in song through the 2000s; Jean-Claude has been a buddy since we were pre-freshmen at ND and I hadn't seen him since 2004; and of course I love my current MVPD crew.

And, you know, I love spending time with Frankie. It's not easy with a person who has Down Syndrome, struggles to walk long distances, and can be adamant about wanting more food. But I've come to realize how much he appreciates our movie days, and is genuinely grateful to me, and truly loves Potter. We got home to the aroma of fresh spaghetti wafting through the air, and I got ready for a workout walk, while Frankie immediately found a Potter movie marathon on ABC Family.

I'll always remember that. And I'll always be thankful to the Potter movies for many outings with Frankie. Today was a great day and this movie, in and of itself, was sensational.   

No comments:

Post a Comment