Wednesday, November 23, 2011

From Camp Corazon to Kim Kardashian: The Things For Which I Am Thankful

It's too bad the pilgrims and Native Americans didn't have today's social media. I could see it now:

- The pilgrims checked in to Plymouth Rock.
- Native Americans and Pilgrims are now Friends.
- Pilgrims created an event: Our First Big Meal. Native Americans are Attending.
- Tweet from @OGSettlers: This place is pretty dope and the religious freedom is off the chain. Natives cool too. #Colonies

Anyway, every year now in this Information Age you see a melding of the two. This holiday created by the unification of settlers with natives. And people expressing all for which they are grateful, for all the world to see, sometimes 140 characters at a time.

So that's not a bad idea. Gratitude, after all, is a timeless positive. Like a perfectly roasted turkey.

Thus, as 2011 nears its dessert stage, here are the things, people, and even realizations for which I give thanks. I am thankful for:

- My faith. The cornerstone of my life. It gives me purpose, understanding, and really a blueprint of how to treat others.

- Family, and the fact that I have it everywhere. It's amazing to correspond with relatives from Atlanta to Antioquia (nickname for Medellin) with the click of a mouse. We haven't tried the Skype thing yet but I'm thankful our communication has increased. Also, I think back to Charlie's high school graduation; Natalia and family's visit from South America this summer; Noah's fourth birthday party; gatherings at Luis & Silvia's or Ann & Dean's; and even days I go to the movies with Frankie. Good memories, good times, and this year we've been there for each other.

- My 42 (thus far) readers/followers of this blog. It validates that something I love doing - writing - is appreciated by others. My goal is to write shorter blogs that sometimes are seen by Followers only and not necessarily posted on Facebook or Twitter. Time is the biggest obstacle there.

- Sofia Vergara. Me gusta.

- My "MVPD" crew of Nick, Katie, and Shawn. I love Golden's brilliant humor; Katie's realness and sports knowledge; and Rossi's desire to make the world a better place.  We've had many adventures together in 2011 but spring training in Arizona, where we were joined by J-Lo and Monica, was the best.

- Public speaking. It was pretty big last year but really blew up this year. I've even gotten to try new things like live auctioneering and moderating a panel. So really I'm thankful God gave me a big mouth.

- The BlackBerry 9930 Bold. Magnificent.

- Friends 'till the end like the Navy Family, Patty, Monica, Kimmy, and many longtime bff's.

- My moral and career compasses, the Mundys and Ponders.

- A job that constantly evolved this year and since the early summer has been shaped more toward community outreach and charitable giving. I really, really, really love that.

- Heath Bell. He's just been awesome.

- Sports. What else would I talk about?

- The weddings of the Coughlins, Lopezes, Washburns, and Ybarras. Seriously, each one was incredible. I hope I didn't forget anyone.

- Two others very recently married, K-Mad and Kawachi. Just amazingly generous people.

- The fact that Team MADness still exists, if not as a relay team, then via the friendships with Karen, AG, and CoCo. And it spurred us to do another San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon.

- Peanut.

- Pip.

- Pollo Loco.

- McRib.

- McDonald, as in Colleen.

- McDonald's, as in home of the McRib.

- McEniry, because she hosts really great Super Bowl parties.

- K-Mo.

- Big Wull.

- Scotty B.

- Scotty B. helping me to meet Drew Brees.

- Scotty D., rest in peace.

- Heavy D., rest in peace.

- Game day at Petco Park, no matter our record, and no matter our opponent.

- Double J. Good man.

- J-Squared, beautiful yet unattainable.

- Alexis del Chiaro, my local TV crush.

- Shana Wilson's baked goods.

- LEvans...suuuup.

- Working and playing in the East Village.

- C-Lan / E-Lo / Fist Pumping.

- Irish holidays.

- Irish athletics.

- Irish women.

- Ag and Joe Q.

- Discovering Camp Corazon, thanks to Heather Laird.

- Lolita's at the Park. I mean, when you only have a few bucks in your pocket, and you need a quick California burrito, it's RIGHT THERE.

- Brookie G. and her faithful texts at 11:11 a.m. and p.m.

- AM/PM.  7/11.

- The ability to fight past disappointment. Some people change. Some people have different intentions or behaviors than you expected. But the maturity to not let that drag you down.

- HB.

- PB.

- OB. Occasionally.

- Jessica Alba. Me gusta muchisimo.

- Friends in Texas who make me laugh. Plus Nicky in Texas and our great discussions.

- Kim Kardashian and Charlie Sheen. Endless material.

- Sleep and the need for it.

- Establishing Thursday nights and football Sundays as chill days.

- The realization that every day's a new opportunity and a blank canvas. And sure I'm not wealthy, or married yet, or even very thin. But I get to live in the greatest country in the world.

Doing what I love and am passionate about.

With a stream of friends and loved ones communicating to me.

And every day proving that anything is possible. For that I am grateful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment