Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Letter/Blog: Reflections on a #Winning Year

As some of you may recall from last year, a desire to save time, money, and environmental resources - not really on the last point but it sounds good - led me to turn my annual Christmas letter into a blog. It's an opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a great holiday season but also reflect on some things.

Every year begins with hopes, aspirations, and goals. Among the goals successfully pursued in 2011 which allowed me to often hit "Like" on Facebook:

- I was blessed to be invited to do more speaking engagements than ever before and am thankful that people are still interested in my life story and philosophies of Swinging for the Fences (yes, a shameless plug even in a Christmas letter).

- One of those invitations led to the fulfillment of another goal, which is travel somewhere fun. As readers of this blog know, in early December an invitation to speak at a fundraising luncheon for the Center for the Homeless in South Bend, Indiana allowed me to take Mama to see my undergraduate alma mater, the University of Notre Dame. It was a trip I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

- Baseball also allowed for some travels. Entering my sixth season as Manager of Latino Affairs for the San Diego Padres, February saw a visit to Major League Baseball's offices in Phoenix for some planning meetings. There a cool thing happened where by chance in the hotel I met Cincinnatti Reds manager Dusty Baker - all because he liked the "Padres Filipino Night" t-shirt I was wearing. I had some sent to him a few weeks later and his thank-you call was one of the coolest things I've experienced in sports. 

- Baseball also allowed for a trip to spring training in Arizona a month later with my closest friends Nick Golden, Shawn Rossi, and Katie Rose Barba. That same crew drove to Anaheim later that month to see an exhibition game between the Pads and Angels.

- I also set out to see some of my other favorite teams live, and this year granted the opportunity to watch the Lakers and Chargers record victories. I also went to Lake Elsinore for the first time to root on the minor-league Storm baseball squad. I have to say none of those matched, however, the wintertime thrill of catching several San Diego State Aztec basketball games amid their 34-3, Sweet Sixteen campaign - a first for their program.

- Another successful goal was completing three endurance walks: the Stephen Strasburg 5K in January with my Padres teammates and KRB; the Kidney Foundation 5K in May with my sister Ann and longtime friend Vanessa; the Mothers Against Drunk Driving 5K with co-workers in October; and being part of the Team MADness relay team with Karen (Madden) Kawachi for the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in June.

- That June one reminds me of another aspiration reached: receiving an offer to publish The Finish Line, my second book which will be about competing in the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon last year and what it taught me about the marathon of life. I have to shamelessly plug again and tell you that we will be having a pre-sale in January 2012 and I'll need your support in order to cover printing costs. I'm a second-time but unknown author; that's just what I have to do at this point in my life.

Now, I could sit here and recount all the great things that happened to me in 2011, and probably paint a picture of a smooth and seamless life. But that's not reality for any of us. Quite frankly, my low point was probably the beginning of summer when there were changes at work and I just didn't know where I fit or what direction some things were headed. Add to that, and I'll be even more frank here, when you see friends leaving for other jobs, getting married, or moving away, it can be tough and I felt like that was all happening at once.

So what'd I do?

Well for one, I honed in on a blessing that came my way, which was a switch to a role that was more community-oriented. I'm still learning but enjoy helping the Padres be active partners in the community. And my boss is a great motivator and leader. I look forward to just trying to get better in this role.

But beyond that I learned the best moments are the simple ones. I learned to appreciate moments that may not be life-changing but can be the best memories of a lifetime.

A reunion get-together with my old Hispanic Chamber mates in early spring. Weekend nights at Bub's and Basic in the East Village or Miller's Field and Shore Club in Pacific Beach. My cousin Natalia and her husband and kids visiting San Diego for a fantastic week, which happened to also be during my birthday and family birthday dinner at Casa Guadalajara. All the get-togethers my family had, from holidays to birthdays to Charlie's high school graduation. The weddings of Sol & Anthony, Logan & Heather, Kat & Ben, Rudy & Carolina, and I hope I didn't forget others. (My apologies if I did.) Seeing concerts like Maroon 5 and Coldplay with my friend Lisa; Pitbull and Calle 13 with K-Mad; Ozomatli and Boyz II Men with Valerie; and Brian McKnight (and a slew of other 1990s stars) with my pal Colleen - who created one of the most amazing memories by kidnapping me on December 11 for the Kanye and Jay-Z show in L.A.

Friends like that are priceless. Friends with whom you can celebrate Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, and - like him or not - Tebowing as you tailgate in the Qualcomm/Snapdragon Stadium parking lot. Friends who will convene some twenty-strong to welcome home other friends who have new jobs or cities. Friends who are nice enough to come see me speak - or in the case of Tom Larimer, drove me to San Bernardino in July so I could speak -, or see another friend who is in a band or beauty contest.

I've learned to appreciate trips to the movies with Frankie and days watching football with Mama. I relish barbeques at Ann and Dean's in Eastlake.

You know, one of my favorite nights was when a group of us gathered at Rossi's to watch the Comedy Central Celebrity Roast of 2011 newsmaker/bad boy Charlie Sheen. I was a bit hesitant to attend only because I knew it'd be a late Monday night amid a very long week. Well, we laughed so hard and so often I had tears streaming down my cheeks. I couldn't tell you what date that was or what time we left Casa de Rossi. But I can tell you it was one of the most enjoyable nights of the year, one we'll always remember. 

Of these memories are great years made. I am blessed with absolutely phenonemal family and friends. I thank them for the incredible memories generated this year. I pray that you will likewise take time to reflect on your circle of close ones and that this upcoming year is wonderful for you. "Like!"

No comments:

Post a Comment