Sunday, January 15, 2012

Kids Say the Awesomest Things

One of the reasons I augment my career in baseball with book-writing and public speaking is I know kids enjoy hearing my story. Kids - whether they're eager grade-schoolers, feisty junior high teens, or impressionable high schoolers - are all sponges. They soak up information and they're not afraid, ever, to ask questions. I like that. I also like that they're generally not jaded or disillusioned yet and believe they can make a difference in this world. Even youngsters who endure family tragedies or rough upbringings can still usually be convinced that they, their thoughts, and their dreams matter.

I really enjoy when that proverbial light bulb turns on over their head and they're motivated to pursue an educational, athletic, or career goal. I probably get a kick out of seeing that happen because I was one of those kids who wasn't sure if he could be a college student, baseball industry professional, or author until someone said 'yes you can' and 'here's how'.

That's why I worked hard at writing and now continually promoting Swinging for the Fences. That's why I am presently relentlessly gathering pre-sale payments for the next book, The Finish Line. I truly want to see it go into production and am paying for the publishing, which is scheduled for the spring.

I'm reminded of this goal whenever I receive letters, usually collected from teachers who assigned 'Swinging' as classroom curriculum. Kids can be blunt. Kids can be funny. Kids will always, always be honest. Here is a sampling of notes I've received recently. I'll share them in snippets, followed by my thoughts - and/or responses - upon reading them:

Mr. Montoya: I thought your book was so cool. I loved all the stories. I had no idea you work for the Padres football team.

Thank you and me neither, kid. I think I may need to educate the community a little better on what we do.

Alex Montoya, this book was so good to read, I just may read it again. I really liked your quote about, "You never know what you can accomplish until you try it."

That is music to my ears - or eyes, I suppose. If I can get you to read more and try something maybe you didn't think was possible...psssht...I gotta say it was a good day.

After reading this book and telling my friends about it, they wanted to know, so 'what's the meaning of life?'  I told them I didn't know cause I'm only halfway through life. 

Fair enough.

Mr. Montoya, the beginning to the end of the book was amazing and inspiring. You've taught me to never give up in life, no matter what challenges may be thrown at me...I will make my dreams come true.

With an outlook and determined spirit like that, yes you will. Adversity will come, it always does, but you can do anything.

What I learned was that in order to follow your dreams you must keep pushing to reach them. I also learned that it is okay to be "different" from people.

Very true on both accounts. Just like I view my physical difference from most others as a strength, you must be different in striving to be a leader and problem-solver. And whatever goals you have, you're going to have to push and work hard.

I cried when your brother Frankie was jumping up and down when you got into Norte Dame. He seems like a big help to you and a very important person in your life.

Frankie is the light of my life.

I thought my favorite part was when you said you can shave with your left foot. I didn't think anybody could do that!

Truthfully, that was something I USED to do. My stomach and electric razors started changing that. But the point is when you have a need, get creative and focus on what you have, not on what you're missing.

I loved your book and your quotes and am glad I have all four of my limbs.

You should be. We all gotta use what God gave us.

It was so cool when you fought to get an elevator put in that building. At first I thought, who would say no to an elevator? But then I realized there are always challenges and whenever I face a challenge I'm going to believe in myself that I can overcome it.

Egg zactly. Some challenges will make sense. Others will surprise you. But you have what it takes to overcome them all.

I liked that you wrote about baseball. Last year, before the last game, a cousin of mine passed away. I was sad and in the last game, hit a ball over the centerfielder's head. I was shocked 'cause I never hit it that far, always singles, never doubles. Then I figured it was my cousin who gave me the strength to hit the ball....I think I might want to play baseball again this year.

I haven't gotten a chance to write back to this student yet. But when I do I'll express my condolences and support. It sounds like he/she is a courageous youth who now draws inspiration from the cousin's memory. Maybe the book, but for sure that at-bat, taught the most important lesson of all: Always Keep Swinging.

No comments:

Post a Comment