Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Hearts of Lions

My very first public speaking "engagement" was at my ninth-grade graduation, which was held in the San Diego Zoo's all-concrete Wegeforth Bowl, although technically the first time I stood behind a microphone to address a crowd was in first grade at the Lindbergh Elementary Talent Show. That night I sang "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Cowboy", a ditty that I recalled ended with Santa saying, "Rudolph with your nose so bright / Won't you shoot my wife tonight?"    My teacher, Mrs. Whitmore, was not pleased.

A few years after that ninth-grade graduation speech (my junior high ended at ninth and high school began with tenth), my first two engagements were as a freshman and sophomore in college.  Freshman year I addressed a Christian businessmen's breakfast and the following year I was flown from Notre Dame's campus in South Bend, Indiana, and back to California for a commencement speech at El Centro High School in the Imperial Valley. All four of these - the talent show, my junior high graduation, the breakfast, the commencement ceremony in hot and windy El Centro - were nerve-wracking.

But I was hooked, man, I fancied myself as more of a writer but each time I was loving the microphone time more and more. People actually cared what I had to say and were entertained and motivated by my stories and thoughts!

As time has passed I've tried to speak wherever possible so that I can keep improving and, really, because it's fun. As such, I've seen just about everything and have spoken in front of 1,000 people and an audience of four.  It's always petrifying but usually turns out well, from Rotarys to rallies, and grade school to grad students.

Two days ago, on June 14, as an "A-MOtivational Presentation" I spoke to my first-ever Lions Club, a service organization primarily dedicated to helping causes involving vision or hearing impairment. It was at a country club in Rancho Bernardo and on a sun-splashed, warm afternoon, my friend Brooke Griffin came along too. Among the 25 in attendance the majority were senior citizens but make no mistake, they were not easing into retirement.

Jokes crackled and the President next to me, in his still-strong Manhattan accent, told me how afterwards he was headed to a weekly dance class. He was 88.

With it being Flag Day I focused on the meaning of Old Glory and the meaning of American opportunity to me. They appreciated it because several of them had fought in World War II and Korea. I focused on the words "adversity" and "determination" and how that embodied the flag and my experiences.

Just as they were listening intently, and the room was still, we hear....CRASH! CLANK! CRASH!

The wait staff in an adjacent hallway were throwing dishes into a tub or basin and being quite loud about it. So loud several Lions turned to see what was all the ruckus. That made me speak louder and, for a moment, lose concentration on my message. As the plate-tossing got louder I thought to just hurry up and finish but then I thought about these guys in their yellow vests and exuberance for life. They meant it when they sang "Grand Old Flag" and I wanted to give them a good, thoughtful presentation. Fortunately, the speakers' coordinator also asked them to pipe down and I finished more peaceably.

But what an amazing group. I hope my stories impacted them but when I saw these guys in their 80's and 90's, loving life and serving their communities, it impacted ME.

The next afternoon I spoke at the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP) luncheon. With their membership being primarily immigrants or children of immigrants trying to make it in real estate, they too had a strong sense of patriotism and opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.

As I was speaking about handling life's challenges, midway through I hear a tapping sound. I ignored it and then I heard it again. I turned and it was an elderly couple looking for the entrance. They were tapping the window pane and although someone pointed to the front door being around the corner, they walked right into the side one.

So I'm talking and they walk right past me and through the center of the room. I laughed and said, "See? Life throws you curveballs."

Then I resumed speaking...and an employee starts up an ice machine. All I could do was laugh and just keep talking until they were done.

I loved both appearances and was inspired by both groups. You never know what you'll get in life or on stage. Right, Mrs. Whitmore? 

No comments:

Post a Comment