Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Road to Dapping Jerry Hairston & Embracing Bill Walton

It's hard to believe it's been seven days since I completed the relay in my second San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Marathon. Since then I've had a great week, including a birthday dinner with my family on Monday at Casa de Pico in La Mesa and a party with friends on Wednesday (the actual birth date) at Fox Sports Grill at the Bayfront Hilton.

It took only one day for soreness to subside, as opposed to three or four days last year, and for my life to get back to normal. Which is to say, back to crazy.

I find myself thinking a lot more about races now and actually wanting to get out there and do laps and improve my time and feel that post-race exhiliration. I love thinking about it and talking about it and dreaming of the possibilities.

This race came at the right time too because work lately has been overwhelming. I just haven't felt like I'm on top of every need or challenge there and often I walk away just feeling like an idiot. In the afterglow of people's congratulations about the RnR, it just felt good to feel good about myself.

I definitely felt love on my birthday too. Besides the family dinner and happy hour with homies, I was treated to lunch at Lolita's Mexican by Peanut, K-Mad, Kenny K., McEniry, Slick Nick, Marky, and Double J. It was a Padres gameday so some ushers with whom I used to work were getting their pre-game grub on and one of them shouts out a Happy Birthday to me. Next thing I know, she's singing and the whole restaurant joins her. I'd never been serenaded before. Like a pretty girl, that's how I felt.

Well, the week just grew more bizarre, but in a good way.

We had 1980's Padres pitcher Dave Dravecky, who lost his left arm to cancer and who I'd met once in 2009, at the ballpark for a "Faith Night" appearance on Friday. K-Mad said be on the field by 6:30 and I'll re-introduce you guys and take a picture. So of course when it's 6:43 and I'm still walking in that direction, she's texting me, "Where r u???"   I get there a couple minutes after that and as Karen breathes a sigh of relief, Dravecky spots me and says, "Hey, man!"   We rap about his motivational speaking in Colorado and how he's just dropped 50 pounds, and about my marathon relay with Madden, and yet there was so much more to say. How do you tell a guy, as he's about to throw the Ceremonial First Pitch, that he's your hero not for leading the team into the World Series back in the day, but for losing an entire arm and yet handling it with class and resolve and dedicating his life to encouraging other amputees?

As I ponder this my co-worker Pip (her childhood nickname), who had generously given me a birthday gift card to Brooklyn Bagels, texts me to meet up at Bub's for a post-work beverage. I said, you know what...why not? I was done with work so I scarfed a quick meal and met up with her and eventually other colleagues. Maybe marathoning activates a 'fun' gland.

After that a group of us (Pip retreated home early) crossed the street to Fleetwood and enjoyed a few hours of dancing. I see my boy Alex "Ag" Aguilar and his wife Ericka, who is wearing a blonde wig for a friend's birthday bash. I ask no further questions.

Now you know you've gone to a club a few times when the restroom attendant says, "Hey, man, where you been? We've missed you. What's new?"

A little while later, I'm outside Fleetwood catching some fresh air and this guy comes up and says, "Do you mind if I ask about your arms? I'm a science teacher and think they're really cool."

So I give him a demonstration and give him my card in case he ever needs a speaker for his classroom. That's just me, I network at nightclubs.

Suddenly I see Washington Nationals infielder Jerry Hairston, who had played for us last year, exit the club and I reach a hook out to him. He shakes it carefully. "Jerry, man," I tell him, "welcome back to San Diego, man. We've missed you. How you been?"  Then I realize I sound just like that restroom attendant. Although I'm not asking Jerry to take a stick of gum or spray of cologne.

All of this made for a tired Saturday morning but I arose for a speaking engagement. It was the Fifth Annual Union-Tribune Prep Student-Athletes of the Year Gala at the Hall of Champions. It was marvelous. Beautiful atmosphere, stirring ceremony, and amazing kids everywhere.

My time slot was brief, ten minutes, so I talked about my challenges and the Marathon. I told them life is a marathon and just like I felt on race day, at times you're going to want to give up. But you have to keep pushing and dig deep within to reach that Finish Line. Too, I told them, as athletes you are role models. Use this incredible platform to serve.

Upon finishing I was greeted with a hug by basketball legend Bill Walton. He liked the message and we exchanged contact info. He had the reach of an octopus and the presence of a general. If Bill Walton likes my message, I definitely feel like less of an idiot.

In fact, overall, I feel good. My life is a winding, unpredictable road, just like a marathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment