Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Flood of Perspective

The last couple of days have reminded me to appreciate and enjoy life.

Last night I joined some friends who belong to the Flood church in distributing food to people who are homeless in downtown San Diego. We bought some food at Smart & Final and then walked on and around the 14th and 15th Avenue blocks and handed out corn nuts, fruit, water, crackers, and more. I gotta thank God here b/c prior to meeting Navreena, Logan, and Heather (and about 15 others) my left kidney was really sore. The kidney stones were flaring up. But then they went away. That allowed me to focus in as we met people, heard stories, prayed and sang with them, and gave food. The one that got to me was the little kid from Monarch School who looked like any other 8-10 year old - but you know he's endured hardship.

When I got home, my kidneys hurt again and I grabbed some pain pills. But before I would've said I was "suffering".  No way I'll say that in a house, with a warm bed, and cable TV and food in front of me. Man, I have lots for which to be grateful.

Life really is about giving. And loving. And just working hard and enjoying each day.

So I won't be afraid to do silly dances like this one last Sunday: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Swinging-for-the-Fences/340626608342?ref=ts#!/video/video.php?v=175681035790045&comments

And I won't be afraid to help others or just appreciate the people and blessings around me. I better keep drinking more water too.

No comments:

Post a Comment