Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rolling Deep

In life you need friends and persistence to get you through. Last week we had further proof that we have a good group of friends in that 15 or so of us got together at East Village Tavern for the BCS Championship Game. At the end of the work week, Slick and co-worker Kara joined 3/4 of Team MADness - AG, K-Mad, and myself - as we dined at Old Spaghetti Factory in order to load up on carbs and good memories for the next day's Stephen Strasburg 5K. More on that race momentarily.

In between those outings I had two speaking gigs. The first was before a group of mostly young and female occupational and physical therapists. Main message: the lessons and persistence you instill in your patients will pay off and my life is an example. Interesting moment: in response to my spontaneous rant about hooks not being good for touchscreens, like the iPhone, a lady says, "I saw on TV where hot dogs can replicate the sensation of a finger."  My response: "Wow. 'Cause that wouldn't be awkward."   They all laughed.

The next night I spoke to the Carlsbad Rotary, which mainly has retired military leaders and current business leaders. Main message: this is the greatest country in the world and this is how you can achieve your dreams by believing so. Interesting moment: had a Rotary coin accidentally dropped into my beer - a rufie perhaps? - and met singer Jack Johnson's grandfather. It was an awesome group.

Saturday morning I completed my first-ever 5K. SDSU's campus, where it was held, was hillier than I expected and frankly I need to shed some pounds. But my friend KRB walked with me and her jokes and music (Pandora) got me through. Plus all my friends who ran waited at the finish line. Message I learned: rest when you need to, but keep pushing, and with the help of your friends, you will make it. Interesting moment: I met Strassy afterwards and when I asked him for a picture he replied, "Uh, yeah, but quickly, I don't want to get mobbed."    Dude, there's 50 people left.

That night The Crew celebrated at Miller's Fieldhouse and Shore Club. We went to Sandbar for a nightcap too, and some big Hawaiian guy wanted to fight me because I was "in his way" but I figured he was just drunk and dumb.  Security tossed him. I was exhausted from dancing so much.  The next day at the Waterfront, another random guy asked if "my hooks could handle a woman's (bleep)."    I replied: "Your mom wasn't unhappy."     He laughed and did not punch me.

1 comment: