Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Vincent Doesn't Take Pictures

Saturday night about 12 of us convened at Miller's Field House in Pacific Beach to watch the Jets-Colts playoff thriller. About a year ago at this locale, I spotted Kassim Osgood and was still bitter that he was leaving the Chargers in order to - in his hopes - catch more passes for the Jaguars. It was not one of my prouder days but I started yelling to him, "619! You're gonna miss it here! It's all about the 619!"

He looked confused as to why this robot smurf was yelling at him.

So naturally we see him again at Miller's, and I tell KRB I want to apologize to him, but he leaves before we can go talk to him. So K-Mo suggests, after the Jets win (grrrr), that we go to Shore Club and who do we see? Kassim. He was really cool and started chatting while KRB grabs some bottles that were left on the bar. (Awesome.) He then took pictures with her, Karla, Rossi, and me.

I like taking pictures with athletes. I never ask for an autograph. I sometimes buy them a drink - you're welcome, Scott Hairston, Steve Gregory, and Nate Kaeding. I laugh if they have multiple bodyguards (Jay Cutler - cough!). 99% of the professional athletes you meet are cool, or at least polite. Vincent Jackson was polite too. He was standing nearby. VJ, can we take a quick pic?

"Vincent doesn't take pictures."

I was turned down by a dude shorter than me, who apparently was his spokesperson and protector. Kinda had a funny little mustache too. I think I'll call him Turtle. Sorry, VJ, have a good night, man. Take care, Turtle.

1 comment: