Wednesday, January 5, 2011

God's Hand on My Arm

Sometimes God just really amazes me so I have to thank Him, especially when things occur for which I really don't have much control. Case in point: on New Year's Eve day, I woke up having apparently slept on my left limb. It was bruised and swollen and in great discomfort. When I put on my prosthetics and lifted my left arm even slightly, discomfort turned to pain as the tip of my limb was tender and rubbed against the inside of my prosthetic arm. It felt like someone was grabbing my arm, twisting it, turning it, and then punching it for good measure.

Unannounced, Frankie walked into my room and without me asking for his help, just started helping me. He had no idea I was in pain. I asked him why he was suddenly assisting me and he said, "I dunno."  I made it through the day and watched the Fighting Irish bowl win with friends in La Jolla, doing everything with my right hand and making sure to avoid my usual celebratory punch-punch-push.

I got home, put some medicated cream on it, and saw the swelling start to reduce by the next day. I continued this all weekend. I just thank God because really the timing for such a misfortune was perfect. It was a long weekend, I wasn't doing jack, and if it was during the workweek I would've missed time because I couldn't even write or lift my arm up.

Then today I walk into work late and I see my boss arriving at the same time, and I know the lateness won't be a problem 'cause it's rare, but I want to avoid nervous small-talk. Can be awkward.

But he stops me and asks, "There's someone I've been wanting you to meet. Ever heard of Jim Abbott?"

"Sure," I respond, "he was a great major league pitcher with one arm. He was my boyhood hero!"

"Oh yeah? Ohh. Huh-huh."  He tends to laugh and almost hum all at once.

"Well I know him well. I'll set up a lunch."  With that he walked away.

I was stoked. My arm is still getting better. But I hope to be half as tough and successful as Jimmy Abbott was with the Angels, Yankees, and White Sox. God just amazes me with the blessings He gives.

Gasp! I should totally arm-wrestle Abbott.

No comments:

Post a Comment